Leaving Creeslough the route heads towards the historic Doe castle which is just about 0.5.km off the route and well worth a visit. From here the route travels directly eastwards to Glen village and a further 6km before it turns south towards Milford and then Ramelteon before reaching the end of this section after 46km in Letterkenny.
For anyone with time to spare a long detour of around 30km off the route to visit Fanad Lighthouse is worth considering. Standing between idyllic Lough Swilly and Mulroy Bay, Fanad Lighthouse has been voted one of the most beautiful lighthouses in the world. On the way to or from Fanad take a look at the spectacular Ballymastocker beach.
Back on the route cyclist pass through Milford, founded in the 18th century by the Clement family. This town is the ancestral home of a U.S. president, James Buchanan, whose father, also named James Buchanan, immigrated from here to America in 1783.
A further 10km southwards we reach the village of Ramelton Ramelton is a very picturesque Heritage Town at the mouth of the River Lennon where it enters a bay on Lough Swilly. Riverside walks, an ancient stone bridge and handsome houses will encourage you to stop. Ramelton was settled by English and Scots planters during the Ulster Plantation of the 17th century and is the site of the oldest Presbyterian church in Ireland.
A further 15km southwards we arrive at Letterkenny and the end of the section. Letterkenny is the largest and most populous town in County Donegal. Letterkenny began as a market town at the start of the 17th century, during the Plantation of Ulster. A castle once stood near where the Cathedral of St Eunan and St Columba, County Donegal’s only Catholic cathedral, stands today. Letterkenny Castle, built in 1625, was located south of Mt Southwell on Castle Street.
Most of this section is on very quiet roads with traffic a little busier close to any villages on the route and noticeably busier in Letterkenny.